Tragedy on Qantas flight
An Australian couple is suing the country’s largest carrier after their baby boy reportedly lost part of his pinky finger due to a faulty in-flight entertainment unit.
The Dela Cruz family of Sydney was traveling on an Airbus A330 from Manila, Philippines back home on Jan. 14 when the traumatic accident reportedly happened, according to the Daily Telegraph.
WOMAN CLAIMS SHE WAS BOOTED FROM SPIRIT FLIGHT FOR SHOWING TOO MUCH CLEAVAGE
Shortly into the flight, the TV unit on the back of the seat fell on two-year-old Cameron’s pinky finger while his left hand was resting on the armrest, leaving a deep wound on the toddler’s finger.
“It was only an hour and a half into the flight. We had another six hours until we got to Sydney,” Natalie Dela Cruz, the toddler’s mother, told The Telegraph.
“It felt like the longest, worst flight of my life and we’ve done a lot of flying.”
Mutilated pinky at the centre of a $200K lawsuit | Geelong Advertiser – Geelong Advertiser : https://t.co/Byiy6k6xyO
— Qantas News (@QantasNews) February 20, 2017
At the time, the family said they requested that the plane be turned around so Cameron could receive prompt medical treatment at a hospital but the captain denied the request.
A surgeon aboard the flight bandaged the wound, which helped to stop the bleeding temporarily. Dela Cruz heralded the doctor as a “lifesaver.”
FOR THE LATEST TRAVEL FEATURES FOLLOW FOX LIFESTYLE ON FACEBOOK
The claim was filed in the New South Wales District Court by Shine Lawyers’ Transport Law Principal Thomas Janson and states that the toddler had suffered a permanent disability that might impair his ability to earn income in the future.
Under the Montreal Convention, Cameron is entitled up to about $150,000– about AUD $200,000.
Qantas has yet to formally respond to the lawsuit but a spokesman issued the following statement to the Daily Telegraph:
“We were fortunate to have the assistance of a surgeon on-board and the Captain also briefed MedLink who advised that due to the stable condition of the child it would be better to continue to Sydney.”